Thursday, February 2, 2012

HH Dalai Lama's Meditation on Forgiveness



This excerpt is from The Wisdom of Forgiveness by HH Dalai Lama and Victor Chan.
 Considering the atrocities that the Chinese have done to the Tibetans and their country, the Dalai Lama
                             meditates on forgiveness using a technique he calls 'giving and taking.'

Victor Chan asks: "So to be able to forgive your enemies can make a difference to one's spiritual progress?"
"Yes, yes, there is no doubt," replies the Dalai Lama.   "It's crucial.   It's one of the most important things.
It can change one's life.   To reduce hatred and other destructive emotions, you must develop their opposites,
compassion and kindness.   If you have strong compassion, strong respect for others, then forgiveness much
easier.   Mainly for this reason: I do not want to harm another.  Forgiveness allows you to be in touch with
these positive emotions.   This will help with spiritual development."

"Is there a special meditation technique that you use?"  asks Victor Chan.
"I use meditation technique called giving and taking," the Dalai Lama explained.  "I make visualization: send my positive emotions like happiness, affection to others.   Then another visualization.   I visualize receiving
their sufferings, their negative emotions.   I do this every day.   I pay special attention to the Chinese  -
especially those terrible things to the Tibetans.   So, as I meditate, I breathe in all their poisons  -  hatred,
fear, cruelty.   Then I breathe out.   And I let all the good things come out, things like compassion, forgive-
ness.   I take inside my body all these bad things.   Then I replace poisons with fresh air.   Giving and taking.
I take care not to blame  -  I don't blame the Chinese, and I don't blame myself.      This meditation very
effective, useful to reduce hatred, useful to cultivate forgiveness."

                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment